Omar Miller is a Fucking Giant, part 2

Posted 10/03/2008 by WHayes in Labels: , , ,
Today, after a fun hiatus, we present the second half of our exclusive interview with Omar Benson Miller. Art Star recently sat down with the up-and-coming actor to discuss his roles in both The Express, and Spike Lee's new war epic Miracle at St. Anna.


What will you take away from these films? As an artist, what will you pull from this?

Both films have solid casts that I was so happy to be a part of. I think that I was moved more by the fact that the values I grew up with were reinforced. I come from a really big family, and I see how much you can accomplish with the right set of friends, and the right guidance. I think that from each film ill take away the inspiration and ambition to do better by the legacy that all the people before me have laid down. I know it’s a lot to live up to, but I think we can do it.

Where did your guidance come from? What are your inspirations?

My parents. My brothers and my sisters – I’m the youngest of seven kids – I have a lot guidance, you know? I was raised in the church and have a lot of guidance. I try to do the right thing and it doesn’t always work out, but that guidance shows the difference between right and wrong.

And artistically?

Based on my parents and brothers, and sisters catalogue of film and music I was able to compile a deep database of diverse films and music and plays. Picking up the trombone, and trying to dabble in writing and poetry and then playing sports – listening to Duran Duran but also N.W.A. Listening to Prince but also to Fiona Apple. Going to see Phantom of the Opera, but also going to see I'm Gonna Git You, Sucka. I’ve been blessed to have a diverse upbringing that has informed me and introduced me to the well-rounded ideal that I strive for. I want to put that out there, so somebody can look at me and say ‘I want to be like that,’ or ‘I want to do that,’ or ‘man, that was crazy!’ I want to be that inspiration.

You might want to check out this band called Earl Greyhound –

Nice name!

Yeah, man, they’re pretty quality for a small outfit.

Are you hip with Citizen Cope?

I saw him live! I didn’t know what to expect at first –

Me neither. He blew. My. Mind. Completely. And then I ended up becoming friends with him. Clarence is dope, man; his music is butter. Nonstop. He’s touring with Alice Smith – go listen to her music, she has one of the most unbelievable voices that I have heard in recent history. Alice is amazing.

You know who does a real good live show, too? Matisyahu.

Really?

He’s got this stage presence where it looks like he’s just genuinely happy to be there. Sometimes when he’s performing he’ll just stop, cross his arms, look out into the crowd and give this little smile, like everything is right at this moment.

In terms of the films and TV we see coming out now, what do you find most appealing? What inspires you?

I don’t really watch much television; I just don’t have the time. I get a lot of inspiration from foreign films. My favorite films this year were two French films, one called Tell No One, and the other one called Priceless. I think that foreign filmmakers, especially a lot of the Latin filmmakers, take a lot more chances in their work: it’s not formulaic. You have some veteran American directors who have working skill but are looking to pass the torch. I got love for Vicky Christina Barcelona, and yet at the same time we need our new Woody Allen. We need our new Spike Lee. We need to be able to count on quality, challenging pieces of work from the entertainment community, whether it’s in film, radio or whatever. Not just this formulaic, repackaged garbage that’s so commonly promoted.

How will we find this new material though?

I think the key is being completely relentless. So if I find something that I think is worth promoting then I’m gonna stand behind it and tell everybody I know about it. The technology is such now that the grassroots movements can go forward to millions of people instantly – there’s no excuse not to promote what you believe in personally. Obviously the system is what it is, and the powers at be see no need to change it because it worked well for them. Yet, at the same time, it’s up to us to create this newness, and to create this freshness, and to create the new styles and trends, and create new quality and it can’t just be for money. It can’t just be about materialism; you have to personally stand behind what it is you create – be it your child, or your virtual child in your project.

Tell me about your own family project.

It’s a film called Gordon Glass. It’s about a guy who wants to be an actor and moves to California from Atlanta to get a job with a movie studio as a security guard. He thinks this will help him become an actor. The meat of the story comes from his staying at his cousin’s house. The cousin’s marriage is in shambles and he’s trying to help repair that. He’s trying to shine a light on his cousin to show him how much he actually has. He also meets these neighborhood children and tries to turn them around as well – he’s playing big brother to all these people. It culminates in a party. It’s my first piece, a learning experience, and I look forward to getting right back on the saddle and directing something again.

Distribution?

Not sure yet. We ran through the festival circuit, and I’m hoping that the success of both The Express and St. Anna will renew interest in the film.

Thanks for your time, man. It was a pleasure interviewing you.

Definitely.

Miracle at St. Anna is in theaters now, The Express opens October 10th.


0 comment(s) to... “Omar Miller is a Fucking Giant, part 2”

0 comments:


Free Blog Counter