clicking around with music: which way is home

Posted 10/23/2008 by coelder in Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Which Way Is Home Final


name: Which Way Is Home

hometown: Detroit, MI

label: unsigned

label type: unsigned

myspace visits: 173,891

myspace friends: 12,673


my take on Which Way Is Home:


Michigan. Motown. Detroit. Sufjan. Modern musical history has emerged from this metropolis of sound. Even the joys of Davidson students could be heard from the casings of Ford Field. Further impressing me is our featured band: WWIH. They are touring the Midwest and enjoying every second. An energetic band with the exuberance of 150 children on Christmas morning. Ok, the last metaphor was a bit unnecessary but the power and passion that comes through their music is quite unique.


For those who followed NC/GA/TN/SC/VA music for the last 15 years, there was a band named Jump, Little Children. Sad part, the verb "was." As they have moved on from an incredibly successful touring career to settle down, these fellas, though lacking a cello and violin, draw from the same muses and articulation that JLC rocked for so many years. "Tired and The Torn" takes me back to those glory days.


As much as I would like to leave the review at that, an injustice would have been done. I found traces of STP in a couple of their tracks like "It's Alright" where their dynamic intros are supported by catchy lyrics, guitar interludes and overall intensity. All in all, a great band that I wish would come down South. Cheers fellas and keep doing what you're doing. Check the songs and interview to follow.

AS: Names?

WWIH: Eric Nicolau (EN; vocals, guitar), Ryan Ballard (RB; bass, vocals), Lucas Zell (drums), Mike Nissen (MN; guitar)


AS: Who would win in a fight between the duo of The Beatles (circa 1967) and Bob Dylan vs. David Bowie and The Beach Boys?

EN: My god, that such a hard question! The Beatles and Bobby D. Brian Wilson was locked in his bedroom and the 70's were Bowie's golden years.

MN: I think it would come time to fight and they would put their "dukes" down and have a hippie-lovefest(circa 1969).

RB: Well, I'm goin' with Beatles and Dylan. Beach Boys were kinda losin' steam, and Bowie wasn't quite awesome yet (pre-Ziggy).


AS: If you were a sticky note what would you be stuck to and what would it say?

RB: stuck to the fridge and it would read, "DO NOT EAT MY THAI FOOD".


AS: What is your favorite milkshake flavor?

EN: Vanilla


AS: Favorite Band Live:

EN: Radiohead. Absolutely amazing.


AS: Favorite Band to open up for and/or that has opened for your.

EN: Anathallo.


AS: Favorite instrument that you do not currently play

EN: UM HELLO, THE CELLO


AS: In the 2008 election, what issue do you feel is the most important?

EN: This is tough, but I guess if I really had to pick something it'd be US involvement in Middle-east. Im really not a big politic guy.


AS: How did your band come up with the name?

EN: Its a phrase that I feel encompasses my life and my childhood.


AS: What artist is currently revolutionizing music (other than yourself, of course)?

EN: Nowadays.. Well, it is hard to answer that sadly. On a mainstream/ worldwide level, I don't feel there are any artists that are revolutionizing much really. Chris Martin could easily answer this question for all of us-- "that HE is"... sorry Chris, I'm not feeling that.

RB: Good question, and a difficult one at that. My gut reaction is no one. Not to say there aren't great artists out there now, however the entire music industry seems to be in disarray currently. I hear a good number of bands channeling the spirits of classic rock icons instead of creating their own sound. Granted, there's always a bit of your influences in what you write, my personal feeling is there's a lack of originality across the board.


AS: From what do you draw musical inspiration?

EN: I write songs purely out of habit of picking up the guitar everytime I feel something. Seriously, since I was a 7 yr old kid, I was holding a guitar. I always was working on some riff or idea, playng it for everyone, wanting to know what everyones thoughts were. The creative process is an undefined, mysterious thing.

RB: Depends on the moment I think. I find that when I'm trying to get inspired, it never works. There's something about the process that well, quite honestly, isn't a process. When the moments are spontaneous and I feel caught off guard I think musical inspiration has been at its best.


AS: What music did your parents expose you to in your youth?

EN: The Beatles, The Smiths, The Cars, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, The Talking Heads, U2, Duncansheik, Dishwalla

RB: My parents grew up in the 40's and 50's, so I was exposed to literally polar opposite sounds, generationally speaking. I have my older siblings to thank for the classic rock. To name a few: Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, Moody Blues, Sinatra, Blondie, Journey, King Crimson, Queen, The Cars


AS: How did the band get together? If too complicated, was there a comical story in the progression of the band?

EN: Very, very complicated ow it came together to where it is now. But what is very comical is that in my senior year of highschool (while WWIH was a band already), Lucas literally begged me to let him play in the band. I consistently told him no, and he consistently persisted to ask (DAILY!). A few months later, he joined the band.


AS: First Instrument:

EN: My 8th birthday-- A red fender stratocaster... Love

RB: X-mas '85, Casio mini-keyboard


AS: Favorite Venue to play at:

EN: The Magic Bag (Ferndale, MI)


AS: At what moment did you realize you wanted to do live music?

EN: Seeing my Dad play a show (I was about 4 or 5). My dad was playing guitar in bands my whole childhood. Seeing him up there jamming really got me. The seed was sewn.

RB: There's an old picture of me when I was about 4, I'm standing on a coffee table in just my underwear and socks with my brother's mandolin rockin out. Yeah, pretty sure that was the moment.


AS: Most embarrassing moment on stage:

EN: We were playing on a tiny stage, I was approaching the microphone and nearly tripped on the sea of cables and crap clustered about the stage. ahhhh How charming...


AS: What are you looking forward to the most about this touring session?

EN: Playing the new material from the new record (due Thanksgiving time)


AS: And finally, is there anything else that you would like to share with the Art Star audience?

EN: Thanks a lot for reading through all of this and looking into what we have to say about all this stuff, haha. Come by our myspace and try it on. Lets dance

RB: Give WWIH a try if you haven't already, and let us know what you think.


help support the artist. artstar does not get any money if you buy their songs or if you visit their link. we just want to make sure these guys stay well fed so they can keep producing greatness. enjoy and be sure to check out the link below:


wwih-itunes-1



0 comment(s) to... “clicking around with music: which way is home”

0 comments:


Free Blog Counter