I meant to make you a mixed tape, but this is all I have to give.

Posted 2/18/2011 by Cora in Labels: , , , , , , ,
Even though Valentine's Day is not just for lovers, it is, in fact, for lovers. A whole lot of hypocrisy, I know, but I hope you'll forgive me, because I meant to make you a mixed tape, but this is all I have to give... I'm going to suggest you make your own gifts, or at least cards, this Valentine's Day. What better way to show your true affection than by something you spent time, working on. I don't know about you guys, but I'm a firm believer in, It's the thought that counts. That being said, next to each song, I'm also going to include a few lines from it, so you may include them in your card. These will definitely be more original than your typical Hallmark cards.











Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell- Ain't No Mountain High Enough


-"Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low enough, ain't no river wide enough, to keep me from getting to you."









Best Coast- When I'm With You

-"The world is lazy, but you and me, we're just crazy. So when I'm with you, I have fun."

-"Eversince I was a little girl[/boy], my momma always told me there'd be boys[/girls] like you."








Devendra Banhart- Shabop Shalom

-"It was at this precise moment that he saw her. Her walk was soft and delicate with a thaumaturgical touch that only a [insert word of choice] daughter could have. Then their eyes linked;
an eon blinked. Amharic vows were scryed upon their hearts, just to think, that this could all be with a frenectomy and a few words of love."

-"Then their eyes linked, an eon blinked amharic vows were scryed upon their hearts, just to think, this could all be with a frenectomy, and a few words of love."

-"Honey, when it comes to love, there's a fire in the deep bend of my heart, givin' me the heeby-geebys."

Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Hysteric

So the lyrics are not the most romantic lyrics, however, the combination of guitar, soft drums, calm vocals, and what sounds like a Xylophone, combine to create an incredible song of affection.

-"Flow sweetly, hang heavy. You suddenly complete me."







The Beatles- Baby It's You

-"It's not the way you smile that touched my heart. It's not the way you kiss that tears me apart. Can't help myself, 'cause baby, it's you."








The Beatles- I Should Have Known Better

"I should have known better with a girl[/boy] like you, that I would love everything that you do."

-"Can't you see, that when I tell you that I love you, you're going to say you love me too. And when I ask you to be mine, you're going to say you love me too."

-"I never realized what a kiss could be. This could only happen to me."

-"So I should have realized a lot of things before. If this is love, you've got to give me more."




Pink Floyd- Us and Them


Okay, so this is definitely not a love song, but the romanticizing saxophone, the timid organ, and the eventual chorus give you the sensation that is it.








The Cure- Just Like Heaven

-"...Show me how you do it, and I promise you, I'll run away with you."

-"You, strange as angels dancing in the deepest oceans, twisting in the water. You're just like a dream."

-"Daylight licked me into shape. I must have been asleep for days, and moving lips, to breathe her name, I opened up my eyes."




Caesars- Strawberry Weed

-"And you taste like strawberry, smooth
like strawberry weed."

-"Honey move closer; sit down and listen. Let me tell you you're everything my life has been missing."

-"You keep me coming back for more."





Tommy James & The Shondells- Crimson and Clover

-"Well I don't hardly know her, but I think I can love her."

-"Well if she come walking over, now I been waiting to show her... over and over."

-"My mind's such a sweet thing. I wanna do everything. What a beautiful feeling."






Bright Eyes- First Day of My Life


-"Yours was the first face that I saw. I Think I was blind before I met you."

-"So I thought I'd let you know that these things take forever, I especially am slow. But I realized that I need you"

-"This is the first day of my life. I'm glad I didn't die before I met you. But now I don't care, I could go anywhere with you."

-"So if you wanna be with me, with these things there's no telling, we'll just have to wait and see. But I'd rather be working for a paycheck, than waiting to win the lottery."

-"Besides maybe this time it's different. I mean, I really think you like me."

The Weepies- Be My Thrill

-"Be my thrill, my little white pill, my unpaid bill, the one who will."

-"Be my love, my little grey dove, my push and my shove, my heaven above."

-"And we tumble down like Jack and Jill. And I miss all of the joy you kill, but I love you still."

-"Be my one, my day in the sun, my little pop gun, the best thing I've done."

-"Be my what, my open and shut, my everything but, my little hot slut."

-"Every morning is like the one before, and everybody needs someone to adore. I'm counting on you. Oh, oh baby say you will. Oh, oh baby be my thrill. "

-"Be my youth, my kissing booth, my little sweet tooth, my beauty and truth."

-"Be my thrill, my little white pill, my wait up until, the one who will."

Smile Smile- Tempo Bledsoe

-"I knew that I would. I never thought I'd get to hold you in my arms and never want to let you down, or go."

-"If happiness is you, I'm happier than ever. My life belongs to you, I hope this is forever. Is it love? Baby, I hope so."

-"You've been untouchable for years, and now, I want to touch you. I can't believe you're here. You'll never know how much you turn me on."

-"I was meant to be alone, but then you came and changed me. A wrecking ball of sorts, sent to rearrange things. Baby, I hope you stick around."

Meredith Willson- Till There Was You

-"There were bells on a hill, but I never heard them ringing. No, I never heard them at all, 'till there was you."

-"There were birds in the sky, but I never saw them winging. No, I never saw them at all, 'till there was you."

-"And there was music, and wonderful roses, they'd tell me, in sweet fragrant meadows of dawn and you"

-"There was love all around, but I never heard it singing. No, I never heard it at all, 'till there was you."


Julieta Venegas- Limón Y Sal

(These are my best translations. If you have better ones, feel free to comment.)

-"
Pero a todo lo demás, l
e gana lo bueno que me das. S
olo tenerte cerca, s
iento que vuelvo a empezar."
Which translates into: But all the good you give me, beats everything else. Only having you near, I feel that I start again.

-"
Yo te quiero con limon y sal.
Yo te quiero tal y como estas.
No hace falta cambiarte nada. Yo te quiero si vienes o si vas, si subes y bajas y no estas. Seguro de lo que sientes."
Which translates into: I love you with lemon and salt. I love you the way you are. There's no need to change a thing. I love you if you come or if you leave, if you rise and fall, and you're not here. Sure of what you feel.

-"
Tengo que confesarte ahora, n
unca creí en la felicidad."
Which translates into: I have to confess now, that I never believed in happiness.

-"
Luego me vengo a encontrar c
on tus ojos me dan algo mas.
Solo tenerte cerca, si
iento que vuelvo a empezar."
Which translates into: Then I come to find, with your eyes, they give me something else. Only having you near, I feel that I start again.


Of Montreal- Everything Disappears When You Come Around

As of now, you're probably already aware that I'm quite fond of Of Montreal.

-"When you come around, everything else disappears."

-"The crowds slowly fade when you come around. Everything evaporates when you come around."

-"When you come around, everything else disappears; my mouth disappears. When you come around, everything else vanishes."

-"The sunlight swims away when you come around, and even darkness won't stay, when you come around."



1 comment(s) to... “I meant to make you a mixed tape, but this is all I have to give.”

1 comments:

Paola said...

super sweet songs :)
fav: be my thrill.




Free Blog Counter