South Carolina Is SO GAY

Posted 7/16/2008 by Sumner in Labels: , , , ,
If I’ve learned one thing in my life, it’s the fact that people love to constantly poke fun at my home state of South Carolina. I constantly feel the need to defend the fact that I’m from South Carolina, which can quickly get old, but nonetheless I see where the criticism comes from. We have some pretty stupid people in South Carolina, who do things just begging to be picked up by the media. Let me begin:

There was a recent uproar about an advertising campaign in London targeted at attracting gay tourist to my wonderful state. Similar advertisements were used for five major U.S., but residents of those cities have not had the same public outcry as South Carolinians.


Granted the campaign may be a little blunt, but what astonishes me are the reactions of my fellow South Carolinians. A teacher at a high school in the state stepped down out of opposition to the creation of a Gay-Straight Alliance at the school, saying the following,

“Our sex education curriculum is abstinence based. I feel the formation of a Gay/Straight Alliance Club at Irmo High School implies that students joining the club will have chosen to or will choose to engage in sexual activity with members of the same sex, opposite sex, or members of both sexes.”

It’s things like this that embarrass me.

I could talk as well about the legislative approval of Christian license plates that proclaim, “I Believe,” but that might get sticky and I can’t find the quote I was looking for by Andre Bauer, our Lt. Governor. I’m all about freedom of speech and proclaiming one’s religious convictions, but such an action presupposes that Christianity is and should be the religion of the state. I guarantee a proposal by atheists or Muslims to have plates of their own made would never get approved.

So instead, I’ll just present to you our wonderful Governor, Mark Sanford, who has been considered a potential vice presidential candidate and looked like a bumbling idiot on CNN on Sunday. It kind of reminds me of Miss Teen South Carolina.


Why can't we hear about the great South Carolinians like Jim Clyburn, the House Majority whip.

0 comment(s) to... “South Carolina Is SO GAY”

0 comments:


Free Blog Counter